Slate™ Starter Edition is our entry-level product. It follows Slate™ Desktop Edition‘s lead, with standard assistive translation features for professionals. It’s a convenient drop-in replacement for cloud-based machine translation services at a price that meets every budget. Use engines another computer with Slate Connector Edition.
Support for two languages from among the 33 possible languages. With your TMs, create engines that translate between the two languages in either direction.
Privacy & Confidentiality
Slate applications run on your PC. There’s no the Internet connection. They don’t log your activities like online subscription services. You’re fully in control of confidential work.
Organize Translation Memories
Tools that organize an inventory of translation memories by client, subject matter and project type. More tools prepare translation memories as training corpus to build translation engines.
Build Customized Engines
Tools that build customized machine translation engines.
Tools to evaluate engines and estimate how they will perform as you work.
Tools that copy engines to another work environment.
Tools that pre-translate source segments and save TMX and XLIFF files to include in any CAT tool project.
Plugins Connect to CAT Tools
Plugins connect Slate customized engines to popular CAT tools such as memoQ, Trados Studio, CafeTran and OmegaT.
Add global or per engine or per language source-target terminology files that Slate engines use to force translations of known source language terms.
Add new source-target terminology with just a couple of keystrokes while working. The engine adapts and enforces the new pair in the next segment.
Tools to update Slate engines with new translation memories and optionally prioritize the influence of some segments over others.
Backup & Restore
Tools that backup and restore both the engines and the translation memories that created them.
Sample Translation Memories
Sample translation memories and other files to help you practice and learn.
You need to provide the following before working with Slate Starter Edition.
Hardware System Requirements
- Intel Core i3 (i7 recommended) or AMD Athlon 64 CPU (4-core x86-64, 2.4 GHz or faster)
- 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
- 2 GB of free hard-disk space for installation
- 250 GB (or more) of additional free space on a high-performance drive is required after installation
Windows Operating System (Option)
- Windows 7 64-bit Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows 8 or 8.1 64-bit Edition
- Windows 10 64-bit Edition
- 32-bit Editions not supported
Linux Operating System (Option)
- Ubuntu 16.04 or newer (other Debian-based on request)
- CentOS/RHEL-based (other RPM-based on request)
MacOS Operating System (Option)
- To be determined, currently unsupported
- 70,000 to 150,000 sentence segments
- One full-time translator’s work for 3 to 4 years
- 200,000 to 500,000 sentence segments
- Support a team of translators
- No upper limit number of segments
- Too many segments risks degrading the engine
Slate reads and writes these standards-based localization file types:
- Text files with UTF-8 character encoding, Linux or Windows new line separators
- Tab-delimited files are specialized Text file (as above) with one tab per line. Text left of the tab is the source language. Text right of the tab is target language.
- TMX – translation memory exchange up to version 1.4b
- XLIFF – XML Localization Interchange File Format version 1.2 (.xlf, .xliff, .sdlxliff, .mxliff, .mqxliff)
- Gettext .po and .mo files
You can also work with file types supported by your computer-assisted translation (CAT), such as .docx, .xlsx, etc.
Work specializations such as financial & regulatory reports, clinical trials & pharmaceuticals, technical manuals and legal contracts generally create consistent and accurate translations captured in the translation memories. These translation memories yield better customized machine translation than specializations such as marketing, creative writing and literature.
The Slate installer provides and manages the following requirements.
The GNU Utilities are essential open source utilities that the Moses Toolkit needs to create models. The Windows package installs and updates them but we do not maintain them.
Perl Scripting Runtime
Perl 64-bit version 5.28 or newer is a free open source scripting runtime environment.
Python Scripting Runtime
Python 64-bit version 3.72 or newer is a free open source scripting runtime environment. Required dependency libraries include:
End User License Agreement
A perpetual, royalty-free end-user-license agreement (EULA) to use on your machines. No subscriptions or hidden fees.
Install and activate on any supported operating systems. Today’s support includes MS Windows and Linux. MacOS is planned.
Install, activate and work on one machine. Build engines and work on the same computer.
Maintenance updates are published occasionally with new languages, enhanced features and bug fixes.
Access to priority technical support during the period between major version updates via our online support portal, https://support.slate.rocks.
Use Slate and learn how your translation memories perform as an engine. Experience our unparalleled technical support. If you’re not fully satisfied, uninstall the Slate and request a refund within 60 days of your purchase. We will refund your full purchase price immediately – no questions asked.
We’ll help you understand how your first engine performs. Send us the automated evaluation report. We’ll review the performance with you.
Slate™ Toolkit Edition is a collection of free open source software utilities. These utilities generate and use phrase-based statistical machine translation (SMT) models in our commercial Slate™ products. This makes Slate™ Toolkit Edition the only collection of SMT utilities updated to run on MS Windows.