System requirements, activation options, licensing options, features, technical summary & more.
This Preface consolidates various technical information in one place for easy reference. You’ll find the relevant details on the respective pages for each product.
- Intel Core i3 (i7 recommended) or AMD Athlon 64 CPU (4-core x86-64, 2.4 GHz or faster)
- 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
- 2 GB of free hard drive space for installation
- 250 GB (or more) free space on a high-performance drive is ideal after installation
- Windows 7 64-bit Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows 8 or 8.1 64-bit Edition
- Windows 10 64-bit Edition
- 32-bit Editions not supported
- Linux, x86_64 kernel version 3.2+
- Ubuntu 16.04 or newer (other Debian-based on request)
- CentOS/RHEL-based (other RPM-based on request)
- To be determined, currently unsupported
Translation Memory Requirements (corpus)
- 70,000 to 150,000 sentence segments
- One full-time translator’s work for 3 to 4 years
- 200,000 to 500,000 sentence segments
- Support a team of translators
- No upper limit number of segments
- Too many segments risks degrading the engine
Slate Desktop™ reads and writes these standards-based localization file types:
- Text files with UTF-8 character encoding, Linux or Windows new line separators
- Tab-delimited files are specialized Text file (as above) with one tab per line. Text left of the tab is the source language. Text right of the tab is target language.
- TMX – translation memory exchange up to version 1.4b
- XLIFF – XML Localization Interchange File Format version 1.2 (.xlf, .xliff, .sdlxliff, .mxliff, .mqxliff)
- Gettext .po and .mo files
You can work with file types through your computer-assisted translation (CAT), such as .docx, .xlsx, etc.
Specializations such as financial & regulatory reports, clinical trials & pharmaceuticals, technical manuals, legal contracts, etc. create consistent and accurate translations. These translation memories yield better custom machine translation.
Install and activate on any supported operating systems. Today’s support includes MS Windows and Linux. MacOS is planned.
The installer prompts you to enter a registered email address and its license key. It uses this information to authenticate your license key for the product you’re installing. If authentication fails, the installer blocks the installation.
After successful authentication, the installer copies the Slate Desktop™ application to your computer, configures it with your options and notifies our authentication server of the successful installation.
Slate Desktop™‘s uninstaller reverses the activation process. During uninstall, it deactivates your license key. This frees the license key for installation and activation on another computer.
Your single-user license allows you to install your Slate Desktop™ product on the number of machines indicated by your purchase receipt’s activation count.
Maintenance updates are published occasionally with new languages, enhanced features and bug fixes.
Access to priority technical support during the period between major version updates via our online support portal, https://www.slate.rocks/support/.
Buy Slate Desktop™, experience great technical support and learn how your translation memories perform as machine translation. If you’re not fully satisfied, uninstall Slate Desktop™ and request a refund within 30 days of your purchase. We will refund your full purchase price immediately – no questions asked.
We’ll help you understand how your first engine performs. Send us the automated evaluation report. We’ll review the performance with you.
You purchase and use Slate Desktop™ software under one of these royalty-free end-user-license agreements (EULA) to use the Slate Desktop™ software on your machines. There are no subscriptions, usage or hidden fees. The software includes components distributed under their respective open source licenses.
The End User License Agreement (EULA) your agreement to use Slate™ Rocks software on your machines royalty-free, without subscriptions or hidden fees, in perpetuity.
The Student License Agreement is your agreement to use Slate™ Rocks software on your machines royalty-free, without subscriptions or hidden fees, for 60 days.
Source code repositories and licenses for major components are available at these links.